We can now confirm that a decision on the future of Central Hill estate will be considered by the Council’s cabinet on Thursday March 23, from 5pm at Bolney Meadow Community Centre, 31 Bolney Street, London, SW8 1EZ.
The cabinet report that will be discussed will be online and can be found at:
Having considered all options and consulted with residents, officers are recommending that the best option for the estate is for it to be rebuilt. This would guarantee all residents a new, much better home on the estate.
If this recommendation is adopted it will mean that:
- Every secure council tenant on Central Hill will be able to move to a brand-new home on the estate at council rent level with a new Assured Lifetime Tenancy
- Every tenant will be offered a suitable alternative home
- The new homes will be built to meet current council tenants’ needs
- Affordable options will be provided to assist resident homeowners to stay on the estate
- The development will be led by the council through Homes for Lambeth, and NOT an external private developer
- We will maximise the number of additional affordable homes built on site – specifically at a council level rent
I am sorry that it has taken so long to reach a recommendation, but we recognise how important it is to reach the right decision for the future of Central Hill residents. More than 300 residents took part in last year’s consultation, with a wide variety of opinions expressed. Overall, 49% of residents said that they were in support of rebuilding, compared to 38% who were opposed. A higher proportion of tenants were in favour, while most leaseholders were opposed.
While the report recommends the rebuilding of the estate, ultimately it will be the council’s cabinet that will make a decision on the future of Central Hill.
Residents can register to speak at the cabinet meeting, however we encourage community representatives to speak on behalf of residents so that the widest possible range of views can be considered. To register, please contact the Democratic Services team before the day of the meeting, explaining what elements of the proposals you would like to speak about. This can be done by calling 020 7926 2170 or email [email protected]
The meeting will also be broadcast live on the council website and the full audio recording made available immediately after the meeting. You can listen live at the following webpage on from 5pm on 23rd March: http://bit.ly/lambethcabinet
After a decision on the future of the estate, we will further write to you about the next steps for Central Hill.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me on the details below:
T: 020 7926 6728 or 020 7926 6728
E: [email protected]
I am temporarily based in the housing office at Lunham Rd on Tuesdays – 10am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm. Please call in if you have any questions.